I live in a small, quiet, and friendly apartment complex in a nice and fairly crime-free area of town. Recently, a middle-aged man moved into a unit near mine, living with his father, and has been causing a lot of disturbance.
Over the past week, he has:
• Banged on my door twice, then suddenly ran down to his car and drove away
• Walked around the complex at 9 am shouting and cursing
• Knocked on my car window while I was pulling out to rant to me about his ex
• Quite literally walks in circles around the parking lot until he sees someone walking/driving, then approaches them or their car
• And the icing on the cake, opened my car door after I had just gotten in and got into the passenger's seat, with no invitation nor acknowledgement from me
I had a neighbor approach me the other day asking me about this individual, and the neighbor complained that he had experienced much of this and was at his wits end.
I found out, through a friend in the same complex who had spoken to the police about him, that this individual is schizophrenic and has repeated run-ins with the law.
I'm at a loss of what to do. Not because this fellow may have some personality disorder, but because I - and all of the neighbors I've spoken to about this - feel a strong sense of danger from him. He has an air of intensity and aggression and unpredictability, and that combined with his actions make the whole community feel unsafe.
How do we approach him or his father to come to a reasonable solution?