I'm going to leave as many details out as possible to keep this anonymous since they are in tech, but here we go:
I have some friends who are starting their own company. They have some small capital, and as a talented software engineer, my skills are useful to them.
Initially I was interested. This would be a short "test run" as a contractor, and if the product gets hold there would be more. Potentially employment, etc if things are good. Standard startup fare.
Right now I have a high paying job, no real worries, and pretty decent benefits. I have no threats to my current job and the work isn't really hard. The pay at the startup would be significantly lower, with significantly higher risk.
I had told them I had second thoughts and don't want to follow through even though I showed interest in commitment initially. This took them back, obvious, and they were mad. Here are some highlights of what I was told:
- My current job is worthless for progress and joining a startup allows me to be who I want
- Entrepreneurs do this, and if you don't do it you're not an entrepreneur
- The far lower pay is only temporary until the product takes off
- Being a contractor is far more lucrative
- It would suck to be the only person in our group of friends and who didn't "make it big" when the product takes off
- Being young I can do this and have plenty of time to save for my retirement later (I'm almost 30, eeesh it hurts just typing that).
The argument got a little heated and I dug my heels in. After deep introspection I've decided job security and steady income (at a higher-than-average salary for my area) is a smart thing to do.
My question really revolves around how to deal with those points above. I have made it clear I don't have much interest in the job and they persist. I feel like the bullet points above seemed manipulative and didn't consider my own interests. It really bothers me they're argumentative and downright condescending on my viewpoint. I feel like they're trying to weasel me here.
What can I do to remedy this situation without hurting our friendship? I enjoy hanging around these people and I feel like I'm dealing with people I dont even know.