- I am a 21 year old female,
- House mates ages: Alice is 21, Beth is 20 and Katie is 19,
- Obviously, the flatmates names have been changed to protect their anonymity
- We lived in a student apartment complex
I lived with the same two girls for both first and second year of college - Alice and Beth - and in second year we also got a new roommate who was going into her first year of college - Katie. Everything was fine in first year between Alice, Beth and I but things started to change when Katie moved in. All of a sudden Alice and Beth were very cold towards me as was Katie, all of it for no apparent reason. I'm a very quiet, introverted person so it's not like I was having raves in our apartment or anything, the only people I had over occasionally were my boyfriend and a couple of friends on my course but I always made sure it was okay first. I'm also studying a very intensive course so I don't have much free time for having friends over, throwing parties or doing extra curricular things anyways.
As the year went on the behavior only got worse, it began with the three of them being very cold towards me, then small jobs not being done by any of them (taking out the trash, hoovering, mopping etc.) and this trend continued until the end of the year, by which point the following had occurred:
- my food was being stolen from the fridge/my press, including dinners that my family had made for me and brought with them on the rare occasions they came to visit,
- I was gifted two beautiful cream throws by my aunt for our couches and one of the girls burst a blue pen all over one of the throws and failed to own up to it or make any attempt to clean it up, when I asked about it they each blamed it another,
- all the cutlery I had brought with me had been taken - it was all in the drawer the week before we were due to move out and, surprise surprise, on moving day it was gone - I asked them in the group chat we had and again individually to return it nicely because I didn't want to end the year on a bad/worse note, yet somehow none of them had it.
After the year I had with them I was under the impression that I wouldn't be living with them again for the coming academic year considering how everything went, but yesterday, Alice sent a message into the old group chat to inform the rest of us she had put down on her application that she wanted to live with us again next year. Beth and Katie also chimed in to say the same thing. I have yet to reply to their messages because I don't know how to say nicely that I'm not interested in living with them again due to last year and would prefer if they would remove me from their applications so I don't automatically get placed with them even if I don't request it.
In essence, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I don't know how to get out of this situation. From what I can tell, they can't see anything wrong with the way things were last year if they're all saying they've put me down on their applications for this year again. I want to get the reasons for me wanting to move out across to them but I don't know how to go about it. I'm a very quiet, non-confrontational person so I don't want this to blow up on me but I feel they need to know how I felt last year and that I do not want to live with any of them again this year. In short, my question is this: How do I make it clear to them I do not want to live with any of them next year? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and if any more info is needed just let me know and I will edit accordingly!