First off, I know that this question is very close to mine, but has no answer that would match my needs.
Secondly, I find it shocking how many people answer for a workplace situation. This question is about generic place and a generic way that can be taken.
Yesterday a colleague of mine had birthday and I didn't know about it until later that day where the coworker brought in some food and sent an email to everyone. I felt pretty embarrassed, as I already met him at that morning but had no clue. This is the reason for following question.
Please assume following situation:
- I am the person having birthday
- We meet each other for a short period of time (lets say around 5-10 minutes)
- It is a 1-on-1 conversation
- This can happen in any place with any person I know (talked to that person a few times but only small talk)
- This person has absolutely no clue that it's my birthday (doesn't ask "what's up?" or similar to which I could respond properly)
- I am not giving off any hints by my looks or my behavior which could cause a question.
How can I tell someone who has no clue (and therefore doesn't ask about it), that it is my birthday without it being somewhat awkward?
I am not looking for answers like the ones in the linked question, as they are mostly suggest to bring food or do some activity. I am looking for answers which are purely conversation based (A short conversation, only small talk, no questions about what up etc.).
Please note that answers such as
Hey, it's my birthday! would not be a good fit in my opinion, as I feel that it would be pretty awkward if you walk up to someone and the first thing you say is "It's my birthday!" (also I feel its kinda rude).