Background: my parents have been running a small restaurant which opens everyday with another employee for a couple of years now; things went okay so far, I don't hear much complaints. I've been helping them whenever I can, back then when I was still in college until I graduated recently and got a job.
And here come my situation: my parents tend to go on something they call "religious trip" every 2-3 weeks on Sunday (which I don't know much about) and ask me to come and help the employee since she will be working alone.
I'm usually okay with this and come to help my family whenever they go on their trip. Things went okay until last month, when they suddenly needed to make their trip very frequently (from every 2-3 weeks on Sunday to weekly on weekends) and asked me to come help the employee (which I still accepted for them and would feel extremely bad if Ilet her work alone).
They promised it won't last for long, but it's already been a month and they're still going for their trip weekly in weekend. I'm getting very tired with this situation now, since I work 44 hrs/week and just want to take the weekend to rest. Sometimes, I'm just so tired that when I receive their text to come help, I almost come confront my parents (which I managed to hold back).
So here is my question: How do I convince my parents and their employee to close their restaurant while they go on their trips?
Here is something that I've tried:
- Asked them to close the restaurant for at least Sunday while they're gone, refused with "We will lose our regulars if we close the restaurant for one day".
- Tell my parents that I'm tired and won't come to help, to what they say that "if you don't come the employee will have to work alone" (I still come to help at the end).
- Tried not to come help at all, but feel so bad that I still come help after 1-2 hours (I don't have any emotional attachment to the employee though, just feel bad to leave someone to prepare and run the restaurent by themself).
Some information to clarify:
- I'm male, moved out after graduate.
- We live in Asia
- They give me some money to compensate which I put to family's account for bills and and give some to my sister who still living with them.