I have a friend X who I have had to block on all social media after they have proven themselves to be:
- intense and demanding (A)
- trying to upset me (B)
- emotionally manipulative (C)
- having angry and aggressive overreactions to assumed slights (D)
- extremely confrontational (E)
- angrily blames other people when they are at fault (F)
- a history of behaving this way towards others (G)
X noticed that I blocked them and confronted our mutual friend MF about it. Demanding to know what they had done to upset me because as far as they could see we were great friends. MF managed to evade the questions saying that we hadn't spoken in weeks. MF is due to move home again soon and I worry that X will continue to pressure them for information when they return - knowing that MF will see me as soon as they arrive.
I also worry that I will see X at events based on our mutual interests and they will confront me publicly in an aggressive and angry way [as before] as to why I blocked them.
I don't know what to do when I will see them in public. How do I avoid confrontation? Or what is the best way to disengage from confrontation with an extremely confrontational person?
An extensive history with evidence of A-G can be read here: https://pastebin.com/5yrF7zfz
The key points are:
- Initially this was a primarily remote friendship which evolved from X being reverent to intense, demanding and controlling over the course of about a year.
- We have had one in person interaction - X was obnoxious, negative, complaining, angrily overreacted to playful attempts to diffuse conflict, ruined the event we attended, overstayed their welcome in my home by 9 hours, easily the worst guest I've ever hosted, and was angry at me for being too frightened to ask them to leave.
- X is unreasonable and thinks that everyone else is being unreasonable [landlord]
- X regularly tries to upset me in conversations, ignores me when I say no, is relentless in trying to make me do what they want.
- Has previously shouted at me in front of a room full of my friends so seems to not have a problem with public conflict.
- X has recently moved to my city and I could run into them at any time - I have had two close calls so far and in both contexts I was in disguise.
A clarification: MF is the only friend we have in common but our mutual interests will draw us to the same locations as they are niche.