I'm trying to get my property manager to move me (total household = me + minor child) from a 1 bedroom unit to a 2 bedroom unit. I actually thought this would be a simple request but it's not happening.
Background info: have lived in this complex for 19 months, pay rent on time, to my knowledge do not cause any problems. The complex is 72 units, 66 of which are 2 bedroom units. There is an onsite property management office. There is the head honcho, I'll call her "G", who has been managing this place since 1985, but she is sort of a figurehead at this point. She is also somewhat temperamental. The two other employees, I'll call them "A" and "T", are new, both started around the first of the year.
- In February I asked about moving to a 2 bedroom unit and was told there were none available. I asked if they have a waiting list. "A" wrote down my name and current unit and said I was on the waiting list. I didn't put too much faith in that but it wasn't urgent at the time so I let it go.
- In early April I asked again and "A" said there were still no 2 bedroom units available.
- Mid-April I saw a 2 bedroom unit advertised publicly. I called and politely mentioned having seen the advertisement and asked if something had changed. "A" told me that the 2 bedroom in question "won't be ready for a while... maybe a month or so." I said I could wait a month. She said they would contact me later that week to show the apartment. They didn't.
- April 28 I called again. "A" said that apartment was not ready but she could send her co-worker "T" to show me another 2 bedroom unit so that I could "get an idea" of what they were like. I saw the model unit and it was fine. I asked when the actual unit would be ready and I was told by "T" to "call after May 15th." *
- May 13th the maintenance guy mentioned that "A" showed and leased a 2 Bedroom that morning. I did not want to implicate the maintenance guy so I called and told "A" that I was "checking in". "A" said, "Okay, you're on the list for the next one. You don't need to call us, we'll call you when it's ready. It's going to be a few weeks."
Now, I have noticed the public advertisement is still up on a popular apartment search website, so I don't have a lot of confidence that I'm "next on the list."
So. I'm not sure where to go from here.
Some people have advocated the "squeaky wheel" technique and advised that I call them regularly - say, once a week - until they give me a 2 bedroom unit. I think I have a naturally abrasive personality and that this is likely to backfire. Some have even suggested going over "A" and "T"s heads to "G" but I see this as really not smart. I can't tell whether they're just disorganized in which case it probably would be to my advantage to be a little squeakier or if they're trying to give me the message that it's not happening. I really like where I live in general and have not found anything comparable in my searching, otherwise I would have just moved by now. I have realized in the last few years that my whole life I've tended to be very socially obtuse and tone deaf in my dealings with people and am really trying to change, so:
How can I be persistent but not annoying when dealing with these property managers?
* (I should mention this place has a policy of not letting you sign the lease until the day you move in, presumably to prevent the scenario in which the tenant changes their mind after signing the lease but before taking possession of the premises.)