A couple of months ago, I (24 M) moved into a new country and a new job. I didn't know anyone over here but I met quite a lot of good people at work. One of those people is a girl (23) who's working in the same room as me (it's a big room, but we're working on subspaces next to each other).
She was actually the one that approached me at the start and we were more or less in the same situation. We had both just moved in (from neighbouring countries), were staying at the same hotel, both going through training, etc... We spent some time together commuting to work, having lunch and the occasional movie. But after shift work started, things have been more distant.
- We are neighbours at the moment, work in the same place, and have enough common interests (to me, it feels like a waste not to try and interact more)
- We come up with ideas for activities, but then it is hard realise them
- Possibly related to the previous point, we are both in our final stages of training (which involves shift work). Shift work makes it really hard to plan time with people from your team. Luckily, she's on another team but our shifts have been completely out of sync.
- Shift work also makes me feel that I have to try even harder to make friends, as it is a lot more work to find suitable times. I'm usually the one that goes along with plans, not the one that makes them. But lately, I've been put in the latter more often than not, which also leaves me somewhat uncomfortable
- I am more introverted and prefer to have two or three close friends than to have a lot of more distant "friends". She seems to be more sociable and have a much wider range of friends.
- This bit might be too intrapersonal for IPS, but I am a really loyal person that can go on with just having a few really good friends. This seems somewhat against the times (and social media) so sometimes I don't know if I'm just bothering people by trying to become closer to them. She is a really kind person, sometimes enough to make me wonder if she is just being kind/polite towards me (but that might just be my insecurities talking ^^')
- We already interact every now and then through friends in the same circle. I'd like to become better friends and to have more interactions with her specifically (on top of the group hangouts we already have).
How can I convey to her that I'd like to become a closer friend without being misinterpreted or damaging our work relation? I'd like to be able to do more stuff with her, like talking more often, playing games, watching movies, etc... All in all, spending more meaningful time together.