A housemate of mine is doing something to my property which I don't like. Please help me in finding a solution towards the greater issue of solving housemate disputes.
Some mornings, a housemate of mine likes to prepare smoothies in her blender. Next to her blender are my coffee grinder and filter coffee machine. I've never seen her use it, as I'm normally in my room at the time, but I can hear it being used.
Every time I've heard it being used, when I walk into the kitchen, I'll find that my coffee grinder is on top of my filter coffee machine. I imagine that she needs the space.
- I want to make sure that my coffee grinder is put back in place.
- I want to find out why my coffee grinder is being put where it is.
- I expect my things to be put back where they live.
- Less importantly, the coffee grinder might be knocked off the coffee machine.
I recently got extremely angry with this housemate after being woken up by a string of washing machine runs in the middle of the night, and a final one very early in the morning. I later found out that some other housemates participated in this. The issue was resolved, but a lot of stressful consequences followed.
I want to think about how to solve similar housemate issues instead in an amicable, calm, but stern way without creating new issues.
- Is my objective reasonable?
- Reason 2. is less important. In that light, should I mention it? My objective would still be fulfilled, but she would be able to think that it was just from my worry of it falling, and not telling her to change her ways.
- What questions could I ask, and what should I state?